Monday, January 17, 2011

Reflections

Yesterday we lost Grandma Maxwell, and even though we'd known it as coming, it's not really the kind of thing you can be ready for. Add that to the fact that I'd had Mom's death close all day and it was just a rough Sunday. But I found a quote that I remember them reading at my Grandpa Ellsworth's funeral and it sums up how I feel pretty well.

"We are standing on a shore. A large sailing ship is about to pull out. Friends and relatives of ours are standing on the deck, waving goodbye, throwing streamers, calling to us, calling our names. And we call to them and to each other. ‘Look, there’s Grandma…there’s Uncle Joe…there’s Uncle Bill.’ A bell sounds. The ships begins to move away.

"We stand silently for a very long time and watch as the ship goes further and further away until, finally, the mast is just a vertical pencil line on the distant horizon. Then it too goes down, until we can no longer see it. And we sigh, ‘Oh, she’s gone.’

"But gone from where? Gone from our sight. That’s all.

"For at the very moment we sigh, ‘Oh, she’s gone,’ another cried on another shore is jumping up and down, laughing and yelling and pointing excitedly out to sea saying, ‘Look! She’s coming. Look, the ship Is coming home! Look! There’s Grandma…there’s Uncle Joe…there’s Uncle Bill.’"

"The ship is coming home. There is another shore, another dimension in which we have already begun to live." (God Can Handle it Day by Day)

I'm so grateful for the gospel in my life. For the knowledge if gives me of the resurrection and the eternal nature of families. While Grandma may be gone from our sight for the time being, we know that she is with all those she loved and lost before. And although it doesn't make it hurt any less, it does make that hurt temporary. What a blessing that is, especially on the rough days.

5 comments:

Zackira's said...

I am so sorry for your loss Miss Dean. Give Cory a hug for me, I can handle it if you are doing it. I love you guys!

Penny said...

Beautifully written Annie, thanks for sharing that sentiment. You're in my prayers this week, thanks again for your great example. You must have had some amazing teachers in your mom and grandmother.

J and J Black said...

I LOVE YOU ANNIE

Marianne said...

I have a very vague memory of that quote. Who read it at Dad's service? That whole week is such a blur to me and yet, in many ways very crystal clear. I know that Grandam gave us all a transcript of certain things but as with the things from your Mom's funeral, I tucked them away for a time when it is less painful to look at them. I wonder when that will be?

Tell Cory I am very sorry for his loss. It is a loss for awhile. That quote is beautiful though. I like to picture all the loved ones who have gone on a different shore having a party to welcome a loved one home!

Annie said...

It was given by President Carter, if I remember correctly. Thank you all for your prayers and love.